This All About Russia Country Pack provides an engaging and hands-on learning experience for preschool and primary students. This educational tool helps children learn about geography by exploring Russia, its culture, people, landmarks, and flag. It improves their geographical knowledge, cognitive skills, fine motor skills, and mastering of some early mathematic concepts and encourages curiosity.
about Russia for kids
Russia is the largest country in the world, spanning two continents and covering 11 time zones. It has a rich history and culture, including famous landmarks like the Kremlin and St. Basil’s Cathedral in Moscow. Russian cuisine includes dishes like borscht and blini, and the country is also known for its world-renowned ballet, literature, and music. Popular sports in Russia include ice hockey, soccer, and figure skating. The current leader of Russia is President Vladimir Putin, and the country’s currency is the ruble. Russian is the official language, but many people also speak English.
BENEFITS of learning about RUSSIA for preschool children
- Understanding diversity: Learning about different cultures and countries can help children develop an understanding and appreciation for diversity. By learning about Russia, children can understand that people around the world have different beliefs, traditions, and ways of life.
- Expanding knowledge: Learning about Russia can help preschool children expand their knowledge. They may develop an interest in geography, history, language, and culture. This can help them develop a love of learning and curiosity.
- Cultivating empathy: Learning about Russia can help preschool children develop empathy for people from different backgrounds. As they learn about Russia’s customs and traditions, they may better understand the experiences of people from other countries.
- Enhancing language skills: Learning about Russia can help preschool children develop their language skills. They may learn new words and phrases, and they may also develop an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of different languages.
- Building social skills: When preschool children learn about Russia, they may also develop social skills. They may learn how to interact with people from different backgrounds, ask questions, and share their own perspectives.
Overall, learning about Russia (or any other country or culture) can help preschool children develop a deeper understanding of the world around them. This can help them become more well-rounded individuals who appreciate diversity and are open to new experiences.
Russia-themed hands-on activities for kids
- Map of Russia puzzle: create a puzzle of the map of Russia for the children to put together. This helps them become familiar with the geography of the country.
- Russian nesting dolls: provide a set of Matryoshka dolls, which are traditional Russian nesting dolls. Children can use the dolls to learn about the size and shape of the dolls, as well as the images and designs painted on them.
- Russian flag craft: provide materials such as construction paper, scissors, and glue. Show the children how to create the Russian flag using the colors of the Russian Federation (white, blue, and red).
- Russian food tasting: prepare some traditional Russian food dishes such as borscht or blini. Allow children to taste and learn about the ingredients and how the food is prepared.
- Moscow landmarks sensory bin: create a sensory bin with sand or rice and add miniature models of famous landmarks in Moscow such as St. Basil’s Cathedral, the Kremlin, and Red Square. Children can explore the landmarks and talk about what they see.
- Russian currency matching game: prepare cards with images of Russian currency and ask children to match them to their corresponding values. This helps them become familiar with the currency used in Russia.
- Russian language cards: prepare cards with basic Russian phrases such as “hello,” “goodbye,” and “thank you.” Children can practice the phrases and learn a few new words.
- Russian dolls counting game: Use a set of Matryoshka dolls to create a counting game. Children can count the number of dolls in each set and practice their counting skills.
- Russian animal matching game: provide sets of cards with images of animals found in Russia. Children can match the animals to their corresponding names and learn about the wildlife in Russia.
- Trans-Siberian Railroad map activity: provide a map of the Trans-Siberian Railroad and encourage children to learn about the stops along the route. They can plot the journey and learn about the terrain and regions they pass through.
All About Russia Preschool Country Pack
Clip-on Cards. Clip-on cards can be a fun and interactive way to teach children a variety of skills. For example, you can create clip-on cards with letters or numbers and have children clip them onto a corresponding picture or object. This can teach letter recognition and counting skills. You can also use clip-on cards for matching games, where children match pictures or words to their corresponding partners. Another idea is to use clip-on cards for categorizing activities, where children clip cards onto different categories such as animals, food, or plants. The possibilities are endless, and the hands-on nature of clip-on cards can make learning more engaging and effective for children.
Information Picture Cards. Montessori picture information cards provide a unique opportunity for children to learn about various subjects in a hands-on manner. These cards feature a large, clear image with detailed information about the subject below the image. To teach with these cards, start by selecting a few that are relevant to the child’s age and interests. Show the child the picture side and discuss what they see, encouraging them to ask questions. Then, read the information together, repeating key facts or asking comprehension questions. Encourage the child to handle the cards independently and use them as a reference tool for further exploration and learning.
Cutting strips. Cutting strips are a great tool to teach kids cutting skills. To use them, first, find a quiet and clutter-free workspace. Then, show the child how to hold the scissors properly and how to move them along the lines on the strips. Start with simple straight lines and then move on to more complicated shapes. Encourage the child to cut slowly and carefully, praising them for their effort and progress. As the child gains confidence, they can move on to real-life cutting tasks like cutting vegetables or fabric. Remember to always supervise the child while they are cutting.
Sequencing picture puzzles. Sequencing picture puzzles with numbers can be an effective way to teach preschool children the concept of sequencing and counting. To use this tool, start by choosing a simple puzzle that focuses on a sequence of numbers, such as counting from 0 to 10. Display the puzzle pieces in front of the children and encourage them to take turns putting them in order. As they work on the puzzle, ask questions that prompt them to identify each number and describe how they are arranged. Through this process, children will develop their counting and sequencing skills while having fun with a hands-on activity.
Here is what’s included:
- Picture infographic poster
- Corresponding cards
- Cutting strips
- Information and picture cards x 18
- Student booklet (B&W)
- Flag poster
- Flag coloring worksheet
- Map poster
- Map coloring worksheet
- Country alphabet poster
- B&W sequencing puzzles (numbers)
- Color sequencing puzzles (numbers)
learning resources you might find helpful in your classroom
Flags of Oceania Countries 3 Part Cards Blackline Masters$4.00
Oceania Maps Blackline Masters Pin Flags$3.00
Africa Vocabulary 3 Part Cards – Editable$4.30
Product on saleAustralia Oceania Continent Bundle$29.00
Australia / Oceania Preschool Hands-on Activities$5.00
Product on saleSouth America Continent Bundle$25.00
South America Preschool Hands-on Activities$4.50
Sloth Life Cycle and Parts of a Sloth 3 Part Cards Blackline Masters$4.60
Natural Landmarks and Artificial Landmarks in South America | Sorting$2.00
South America Continent Cards and Country Research B&W Booklet$4.40
Flags of South America – 3 Part Cards and Blackline Masters$4.50
South America Maps, Blackline Masters, Pin Flags$3.00
Product on saleAfrica Continent Bundle$20.00
Africa Preschool Hands-on Activities$5.00
Natural Landmarks and Artificial Landmarks in Africa | Sorting$2.00
Europe Maps and Pin Flags$3.00
Africa Continent Cards and Country Research B&W Booklet$4.20
Lion Life Cycle and Parts of a Lion 3 Part Cards Blackline Masters$6.50